Applying for a first home owner grant
The Queensland First Home Owners’ Grant is a state government initiative to help first home owners to get their new first home sooner.
Depending on the date of your contract, you’ll get $15,000 or $20,000 towards buying or building your new house, unit or townhouse (valued at less than $750,000).
You can buy off the plan or choose to build yourself.
To be eligible for the grant:
- You must be at least 18 years of age.
- You must be an Australian citizen or permanent resident (or applying with someone who is).
- You or your spouse must not have previously owned property in Australia that you lived in.
- You must be buying or building a brand new home.
- The value of the home including the land is less than $750,000.
- You must move into the new home as your principal place of residence within 1 year of the completed transaction and live there continuously for 6 months.
The value of the grant depends on your contract date:
- $20,000 for contracts dated from 1 July 2016 to 30 June 2018 (Queensland First Home Owners’ Grant)
- $15,000 for contracts dated 11 October 2012 to 30 June 2016 (Great Start Grant).
This guide will explain applying for a first home owner grant, and your obligations after receiving it.